RE: Multiple pending setup patches

> > I'm thinking an asterisk after the name (with
> > dialog text explaining its meaning), since using color
> becomes confusing
> > when you also have the selected/not-selected color distinction.
>
> If the warning color were red, you could make the selected
> color white
> on red instead of the Windows default.
>
> The best reason I can think of to avoid using color is that you'd
> probably have to write a custom paint routine.  That's a bit of work.
> If you choose this path, something more obvious than an
> asterisk would
> be better.  For instance, prefix it with "NON-OFFICIAL: ".

Not to mention that using color to indicate state makes things
harder on those individuals who are color blind, or who depend
on using a screen reader to access GUI apps like setup.exe.

There was some discussion about setup.exe and screen readers a
while back.  I can't find anything to say otherwise, but it seems
as if the setup developers (Igor, in particular) were trying to
correct "features" in setup.exe that made it difficult to use
with screen readers.  It would be kind of silly to update the
package selection mechanism to be screen-reader friendly while
introducing another feature that wasn't.

-Samrobb