Re: 4th summary (was Re: [HEADSUP] ALL Maintainers, please reply.)

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

The following is useful information from me...
[snip]

xwinclip

I'm still listed as the maintainer of this and I declare it obsolete. I'm not going to maintain it anymore and it doesn't need to exist anymore, so please remove it from the distribution.

Harold, I recall that there was an issue with "XWin -clipboard -query",
where in certain circumstances the clipboard thread didn't have permission
to connect to the X server.  This was one argument for having a separate
xwinclip application.  Your comment above implies that this issue is fixed
in the newer X releases, right?
	Igor

I only put about a month into fixing that... the final design is that we register our own cookie with the server so that we can always connect, plus we overload ProcEstablishConnection to wait until several clients have connected (usually the Xdm server) before we connect; this causes us to be inserted into the connection list only after the Xdm server has killed all existing client connections. xwinclip is an abomination that still steals the ownership of the X selection and forces copies of data that are never pasted. If there are any remaining problems with the new clipboard system and Xdmcp (I'm pretty sure there are not), then they need to be fixed (not too hard, this would just be tweaks to the existing work-around), rather than providing the broken alternative that is xwinclip.

Here's the last time I fixed a problem related to the clipboard support and Xdmcp (21 months to the day):

http://x.cygwin.com/devel/server/changelog-100.html

Release 4.3.0-34
Released: 2004-01-10 0200 EST

Harold