Re: FFTW3, Shared Libraries, libtool

--- "Gerrit P. Haase"  wrote:

> BTW, 3.0.1 is still current, so the patch should apply without fuzz.
>
> 2.1.5. and 3.0.1 are not binary compatible and there are still some
> packages out there which require fftw2, maybe you want to contribute
> both versions?
>
> In case you are interested I would send you also my 2.1.5 build.

I will see what I can do with your patch on 3.0.1, and get back to you if I
have questions.  Thanks for the quick response.

Do you think the patch is universal enough that it should be submitted to
upstream?

As far as 2.1.5 is concerned, I will consider it, but am inclined against it at
the moment, as my focus is on getting the best possible octave package working,
and octave uses the 3.0 api.  Most likely I'll send out an ITP for 3.0 when it
seems to be working properly with octave.  If you or others would benefit
greatly from a 2.1.5 build, however, that might increase my motivation to
package 2.1.5 as well.

On another subject: gcc3.4 currently builds a non-functional octave which hangs
before reaching the first user prompt.  If you could outline what information
would be helpul to you as the gcc 3.4 maintainer, I will try to generate it.
I'm pretty clueless about gdb, but I'm game to try to learn a little.  Keeping
octave built with the current default compiler is a priority for octave on
cygwin, because octave allows the building of compiled extensions (.oct files)
which want to use the same compiler octave was built with.  Octave upstream is
concerned about this issue, particularly since cygwin doesn't support
installation of more than one gcc version.

Thanks,

Jim Phillips