Re: Upload: coreutils-5.3.0-9

Ross Smith II wrote:

<http://www.freewebspace.net/php/search.php?a=1&b=0&form_language=English&form_location=&form_space=25&form_adType=&form_title=&form_hostType=REG&i=99&submit=Search>

> lists 69 of them, including one that offers 1000 megs and one that offers 555 megs.

I'm sure there are probably some free web hosts out there that would fit
the needs of a package maintainer.  However, a lot of them have
restrictions that will make it very difficult.  Some have maximum file
size restrictions, e.g. no single file larger than a few hundred KB.
Others have restrictions on the allowed extensions, e.g. .gif .jpeg
.html etc.  Most of them forbid "direct linking" which is usually
defined as linking directly to a file stored in one of their accounts,
as opposed to making a web page using the account and linking to the
files from that page.  The majority of these servies have strict
bandwidth limits and are really intended for use with making web pages,
not to be used as file dumps.  Many of them munge the content of the
files served to add banners or other types of advertising, and it's
common to have to use a web browser to upload files, with actual ftp
access reserved for paid accounts.

That said there are probably some 'free web hosting' services that would
be useful to the package maintainer, and the above link is useful as a
starting point.  I'm just warning anyone that is looking at these
services that most of them will not work very well for this purpose.

Brian