Re: ITP: octave-2.1.71

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 06:39:42AM -0700, James R. Phillips wrote:

> [...]

I'm not sure what this is in reference to but the "serious performance
problem" in that thread came from writing millions of small strings,
which amplified the overhead in thread locking.  There are some things
that can't be fixed owing to the nature of cygwin.  This may be one of
them.

>>Anyway, I think the place to fix this problem is in Cygwin or GCC, not
>>Octave.
>>
>>Having Octave compile and run cleanly with mingw is a separate issue,
>>and doesn't really solve the problem for Cgywin users.

Actually, it isn't a separate issue at all.  DW2 exception handling is
an issue common to both mingw and cygwin.  It seems likely that any
solution which addressed the problem on mingw would also work for cygwin.

cgf