Re: RFC: update-alternatives

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
FWIW, the second alternative (pun unintentional) sounds like a winner,
except for the chkconfig disentanglement issue.  But then, I'm not likely
to contribute any code to it, so it's really up to the volunteer
maintainer to decide.

I went with this option. As it happens, Sergey's chkconfig is based on an earlier fork of Red Hat's chkconfig...

  Red Hat chkconfig 1.2.24
  |     had chkconfig and ntsysv, but not alternatives, relied
  |     on popt, no portability, used gettext.

  +--> BSI chkconfig 1.2.24h [a, b, c ... h]
  |    |  still no alternatives, but popt replaced with getopt_long,
  |    |  autoconfiscated, other bugfixes.  Still uses gettext.
  |    |
  |    +--> Sergey's (cygwin) package
  |           some cygwin-oriented bugfixes, ntsysv not included
  |           adapted to cygwin packaging standard

  +--> Red Hat chkconfig-1.3.20
       |  somewhere along the way, added alternatives.  Very little
       |  change in the chkconfig/ntsysv code.  FWIW, alternatives
       |  does NOT use popt, but DOES use gettext.

       +--> My (cygwin) alternatives package
              autoconfiscated, chkconfig/ntsysv removed.  Still uses
              gettext.  Adapted to cygwin packaging standard.

ITP to follow.

--
Chuck