pysqlite / sqlite3 - ITP delayed

Hi folks,

this is meant as a quick progress update for those who might
be interested.

I would like to ITP pysqlite, which depends on sqlite.

While pysqlite is fine, I'm having trouble with sqlite.
While it basically works fine for supporting pysqlite,
I'd like to solve these issues before giving it away:

1.) I found at least 3 mutually binary-incompatible versions
of sqlite: 2.8.16, 3.0.[78], and 3.2.1. I would be happy to
go for the newest for now (3.2.1), but it might be nice
to be able to support different versions (as debian does).

2.) The installation of the tcl-bindings doesn't work for
me (yet). This is part of the upstream package, so I want
to have a closer look. Maybe I'll have to produce a non-
tcl package first (I don't need them anyway ;-), but that
wouldn't be nice.

3.) Building the documentation doesn't work for me (yet).
The package comes with extensive documentation. The debian
package installs it as HTML. The source however is in *tcl*.
Fascinating!

All in all, It'll take me another fortnight (next weekend
is blocked already). I'll keep you updated.

Cheers,
	Jan.

P.S.: Here's my draft of the ITP.

Following positive response from Lapo and Gerrit (thanks),
and because I have the package anyway, here comes my first-ever
ITP. I need pysqlite, and pysqlite depends on sqlite.

For emphasis: Debian Sarge (frozen testing) contains
pysqlite 1.0.1 and sqlite3 3.2.1 (and sqlite 2.8.x, as well).

Both have been packaged for cygwin before but never uploaded,
I believe. For sqlite in particular I'm building on the experience
of Jari Aalto, Yaakov Selkowitz, Gerrit P. Haase, and Reini Urban.

Please note my questions below.

pysqlite:

<http://www.rechen-gilde.de/cygwin/release/pysqlite/setup.hint>
<http://www.rechen-gilde.de/cygwin/release/pysqlite/pysqlite-1.1.6-1.tar.bz2>
<http://www.rechen-gilde.de/cygwin/release/pysqlite/pysqlite-1.1.6-1-src.tar.bz2>

sdesc: "An extension module for the SQLite embedded relational database"
ldesc: "This is version 1.1.6 which is compatible with sqlite 3.0.7."
category: Database Devel
requires: cygwin sqlite3 python

sqlite3:

<http://www.rechen-gilde.de/~miracle/cygwin/release/sqlite3/setup.hint>
<http://www.rechen-gilde.de/~miracle/cygwin/release/sqlite3/sqlite-3.2.1-1.tar.bz2>
<http://www.rechen-gilde.de/~miracle/cygwin/release/sqlite3/sqlite-3.2.1-1-src.tar.bz2>

category: Database
requires: cygwin libncurses8 libreadline6
sdesc: "An embeddable SQL database engine (3.0 branch)"
ldesc: "SQLite is a C library that implements an embeddable SQL
database engine.  Programs that link with the SQLite library can have
SQL database access without running a separate RDBMS process. The
distribution comes with a standalone command-line access program
(sqlite) that can be used to administer an SQLite database and which
serves as an example of how to use the SQLite library."

Open issues for pysqlite ...

- Are my customizations to the generic-build-script too much?
  As I've listed in the README:
  - Renaming source directory "pysqlite" to "pysqlite-1.1.6".
  - Some rules, e.g. "conf", are empty.
  - Rules "build" and "install" call the original "python setup.py".
  - The rule "install" specifies the install prefix.
  - The "python setup.py" is called in "${srcdir}", not "${objdir}".

- The upstream source would build separate versions for each version
  of the cygwin and python packages (cross-product, e.g.
  "lib.cygwin-1.5.16-i686-2.4"). I've no clue whether this can be
  a problem, so I'll try and just make one binary package for now.
  As soon as that breaks, well ...

Cheers,
	Jan.