Re: Welcoming Brian Dessent as setup maintainer

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >  This is the Cygwin setup program.  It can be used to perform both an
> >  initial setup and subsequent updates, so make sure you remember where
> >  you saved it.
>
> I like this idea.

Okay, I've been working on the dialogs.  I didn't want to completely gut
them and redo them, which would probably be the sensible thing to do.
But working within the framework of what's already there, I think I've
made progress.

I also implemented a method for embedding clickable URLs in the
dialogs.  So now the link on the first page is really a link (and I
changed it from sources.redhat.com/cygwin/ to cygwin.com.)  On the
dos/unix page there is also a link that takes you to the part of the
manual that's relevent for that.

These dialogs still look like ass if you resize them because they do not
adjust their dimensions.  But, I think that can be corrected.

I also improved the dependency display screen, with a larger font and
more structured output.

Here are screenshots of those three pages:

http://dessent.net/cygwin/setup-dialogs1.png
http://dessent.net/cygwin/setup-dialogs2.png
http://dessent.net/cygwin/setup-dialogs3.png

Here is a test version that you can play with.  It has all of the above
enabled.

http://dessent.net/cygwin/setup.exe

I don't know how far off I am to committing any of this, but I'd like
feedback on the UI aspects of any of the above.

Brian