Re: Counter-ITP of doxygen (was: Re: Please upload: doxygen-1.4.2_20050410-1 (n'th take))

On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 12:35:19AM +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
>Hans W. Horn wrote:
>>Alright,
>>
>>Max Bowsher wrote:
>>>No, still wrong. You didn't read what I said carefully enough.
>>>You *need* to understand:
>>>Filenames are expected to be EXACTLY:
>>>NAME-VERSION-RELEASE.tar.bz2
>>>NAME-VERSION-RELEASE-src.tar.bz2
>>I guess I never appreciated the subtle naming convention used for cygwin
>>packages. Honestly, my impression was that names go all over the map.
>>Fixed (I think).

>>>These files are touched during a 'make install_docs'.
>>Excluded offending diffs from patch.
>
>Having got the superficial naming problems out of the way, I took a closer
>look at the source packaging.
>
>There were many issues - the most serious being that the source package did
>not even contain the Cygwin specific readme at all - and many minor
>deficiencies related to using a home-grown build script, rather than the
>tried-and-true cygwin template.
>
>I am sorry, but the conclusion I came to was that it would be less effort
>for me to produce my own packages of doxygen, based on the the
>generic-build-script, than to assist in getting these packages up to a
>good-to-go status.
>
>Accordingly, I hereby ITP doxygen myself:
>Setup.exe installation site:
>http://unicorn.robinson.cam.ac.uk/~mob22/cygdoxygen/

I've waited several days to respond to this because I wanted to make
sure that I was in the proper emotional state and didn't just fire off a
knee-jerk reaction.

Nevertheless, I remain appalled by this turn of events.  I saw nothing
in Hans' email which indicated that he's unwilling to be cooperative
about packaging problems so I see no reason to pull the package from
him.  Hans is not the first person to have to go through a moderate
amount of pain before getting the packaging right and if the biggest
complaint of his source packaging is that it doesn't contain the cygwin
README, then that is not a big deal.

I don't know how to resolve this situation but I do know for sure that
neither Corinna nor I are going to "reward" someone by making them a
package maintainer after essentially publicly insulting another
volunteer.

Hans, this is still yours if you want it.  Otherwise, MaxB has
disqualified himself from doxygen package maintainership, so I guess
we're in the market for a maintainer again.

cgf