Re: [Pre-ITP] httpd-2.0.53-0.3

Stipe Tolj wrote:
Hi Max,

Max Bowsher wrote:

Preview packages of httpd-2.0.53-0.3 are available at:

http://www-stud.robinson.cam.ac.uk/~mob22/cygwin/
(setup.exe installable site)

Any comments welcome.

first comments on a real-life long-term runtime test I do with the version you
offered:

Thanks!

which means, CPU cycles at arround 100%. But that was the same for apache-1.3
when bringing to excessive load. This is cygwin layer specifics I guess. And I
don't think we will ever reach the half of the performance as Win32 native
version. But that's ok.

I see 100% load, too, when serving lots of concurrent requests.
Doesn't interfere with interactive use of the machine in most cases, so I guess that's OK really, since no one should be using Cygwin for a dedicated server anyway.

The machine has a 1 GB space as RAM. And as you see it's not fully "loaded".
But I see these in /var/log/apache2/error_log:

$ tail /var/log/apache2/error_log
[Tue Mar 08 10:34:01 2005] [error] (11)Resource temporarily unavailable: fork:
Unable to fork new process

obiously we're having problems in fork()ing off new childs to serve.

Interesting. I'm running an ApacheBench run from a linux machine on the same LAN, specifying 2 million connections, up to 100 concurrently.

I'm getting some errors relating to all my ports being taken up with TIME_WAIT connections, but no other errors.

I know
that I have (in early httpd-2.0 stages) introduced cygwin as a prefork MPM
platform, after the pthread'ed version did not work reliable. Should be give
pthread MPM another chance here?

I tried once before (around 2.0.48, IIRC) and the results were not good. Even under no significant load, many requests failed for no visible reason.

Max.