setup RFC: Ditch homegrown http/ftp code and use a library?

Max Bowsher maxb@ukf.net
Sat Nov 13 00:55:00 GMT 2004

I'm looking at the networking code in setup at the moment, as part of the
grand "Disentangle logic and GUI code" project.

The current code is extremely bare-bones. At some point, it would be nice to
add resumable downloading, and I'm wondering whether it would be more
sensible to grab and integrate some pre-existing library, rather then
re-implement that functionality ourselves.

The other motivation for this is that if we do not bring in a library to
replace this code, then it will need to be significantly rewritten to break
the ties between GUI and logic, and probably also needs an audit of the C
string manipulation and error handling.

So, I'm looking for comments, and suggestions for candidate http/ftp client
libraries to investigate.

Max.