Re: setup.exe sucks

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 02:52:30PM +0100, Reini Urban wrote:
>BTW: There is new Conectiva packager, which should be the best,
>and builds out of the box.
>  http://zorked.net/smart/FAQ.html
>Requires python.
>
>Works with .rpm, .deb and pkgtool files and
>up2date- and Conectiva-style mirror description formats.

Yes, I saw that.  I didn't know that it built OOTB on cygwin.
Interesting.

>I don't like python that much, but I try how to convert our format
>easily into rpm or deb and how hard it would be to add a wxpython
>interface.  gtk already exists.

Converting the tar.bz2 files to rpm files would not be that hard.  It
should be automatable.  I'm willing to do that work.

I'm not as concerned about the package management as I am about the
UI, actually.  If we don't have a good UI for initial install, then
the initial user experience is still going to be painful.

cgf