Re: setup size prefs

"Gary R. Van Sickle" wrote:

> > (In a *.txt file, please. I'd love if it was styled as *.ini)
> > This creates a nice possibility to supply setup w defaults of
> > your own.
>
> Mmmmmhmhmhhhmhhmmm....  The real Windows way of doing this is by putting all
> such settings in the registry, in the appropriate places (analogous to the
> paths above).

Yes and that's how it should be done.  Store the size and position in
the registry.  That's what it's there for, that's what well-behaived
programs do.  Like it or hate it, that's how windows is designed and
making up some brain dead "custom ini file" is just wrong.

As far as defaults: WHAT?  Just run the program the first time, set it
to the size you want, and that's it.  Is that *really* harder then
making up some ini file with sizes and coordinates?  The whole point is
that it saves its state so that you don't have to specify it each time.
If you really want to be able to programmatically do that, just use
regtool.  e.g. "regtool set HKLM\Software\Cygwin setup\height 480".
Don't go do something outside of the OS's idioms for how program
settings are to be stored.  That's bad programming.

(You could make an argument for having the settings in a plain-text file
under /etc since setup is half-Cygwin half-Windows, but I still feel the
registry is the right place for windows program settings.  ini files
have been deprecated since win95 was released.)

Brian