Re: gcc 3.3.3 builds "corrupt" lesstif-0.93.94

Charles Wilson wrote:

> The other question is, how is the ".rdata is read only, you can't
change
> anything there" enforced? By whom? Is this something about the pei-x86
> format that is enforced by the Windows Runtime Loader, or is it simply
> convention enforced by our startup objects (crt0.o etc)? If it's the
> latter, then surely we can fix that ("Okay, it's read-only AFTER the
> pseudo-reloc fixups are done").

Back before .rdata was enabled for user data in GCC, const data was
put into ,text, which is normally readonly as well. But this, in
pe-dll.c:pe_create_import_fixup

line 2178

      /* If we ever use autoimport, we have to cast text section
writable.  */
      config.text_read_only = FALSE;
      output_bfd->flags &= ~WP_TEXT

allowed it to work.  .

So checking one or both of these flags provides info on whether
we might also need to make .rdata writeable.

Me?  I would just do something simple like mark the problematic data as
dllimport.  I don't
like the idea of making .text writeable, let alone .rdata

Danny