GNOME progress report (with screenshot!)

Hello everyone,

Yes, there's been a lot of back-and-forth between me and Gerrit
regarding the packaging of the GNOME libraries and desktop.  The core
desktop has been built, and is up and running, although there's still
work before these packages will be ready to roll out.  In the meantime,
check out this screenshot:

http://cygwin-ports.sourceforge.net/screenshots/gnome2-desktop.jpg

Now, Gerrit (and anyone else interested), let's get down to business.

I've posted for you "ready-to-consume" packages of libbonobo2, GConf2,
gnome-vfs2, libgnome2, libbonoboui2, and libgnomeui2 at:

http://cygwin-ports.sourceforge.net/install/temp/

Note that libgnomeui2 is dependent on gnome-keyring.  Therefore I've
taken the following packages which I think are ready, at the same place:
~ gnome-keyring, libgnomeprint22, libgnomeprintui22.  I think your six
packages, my three, and your updates to gtk2-x11 and libcroco should be
uploaded ASAP, which will give us all the core libraries in the distro.

~From there I'll work on the following (not necessarily in order):
scrollkeeper
gail
libgsf
libgtkhtml2
librsvg2
gtkspell
vte
gnome-terminal
xscreensaver
zenity

I guess the next thing for you should be to prepare the desktop packages:
metacity
gnome-desktop
gnome-panel
gnome-session
gnome-applets
nautilus
control-center

This is what needs to be added:
1) Any package installing *.schemas files needs postinstall and
preremove scrips.  They all go like this, listing the real names for the
schema files, of course:

schema_files="\
~    drivemount.schemas \
~    geyes.schemas \
~    gkb.schemas \
"

for p in ${schema_files} ; do
~  GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE="xml::/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" \
~    /usr/bin/gconftool-2 --makefile-install-rule /etc/gconf/schemas/$p ;
done

The preremove script is the same, except replace
"--makefile-install-rule" with "--makefile-uninstall-rule".

2) In addition, gnome-panel needs an additional step:

/usr/bin/gconftool-2 --direct \
- --config-source=xml::/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults \
- --load /etc/gconf/schemas/panel-default-setup.entries ; \
/usr/bin/gconftool-2 --direct \
- --config-source=xml::/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults \
- --load /etc/gconf/schemas/panel-default-setup.entries \
/apps/panel/profiles/default ; \

Note that this panel-default-setup.entries file is NOT to be in the
schema_files list.

3) Packages installing scrollkeeper OMF files need this in their
postinstall script:

/usr/bin/scrollkeeper-update -p /var/lib/scrollkeeper -o \
/usr/share/omf/$(PACKAGE_NAME)

I got the /var/lib from the BLFS book; it recommends configuring
scrollkeeper-dependent packages with -localstatedir=/var/lib for this
reason.

4) Sometimes programs have trouble starting gconfd-2; this is usually
because the gconf locks aren't deleted after exiting.  Doing the
following seems to make everything work:

$ rm -fr $TMP/gconfd-*

Note that this may be an issue with postinstall scripts which call
gconftool-2; maybe we'll have to put in some logic to include this so
that the script doesn't get stuck.

5) In addition, before running the desktop, make sure that NO gnome
processes are running, then:

$ rm -fr /tmp/.ICE-unix/* $TMP/gconfd-* $TMP/orbit-*
$ run XWin -unixkill -clipboard -nodecoration
$ gnome-session &

gnome-session will start up metacity and nautilus by itself.

6) I'm also getting the constant disk polling; I'm pretty sure it's from
nautilus.  Can we pinpoint the cause?

If you need any further help with the packaging issues, please let me
know, and keep me posted on what you're working on so that we don't
duplicate efforts.