Re: desktop-file-utils, hicolor-icon-theme, shared-mime-info, startup-notification

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

| Yes, I was lazy yesterday ... wait a minute ...I have it uploaded, but
| one question: WHat do I need to do with empty directories like GNOME
| under release?  Is there something needed or will upset skip it when
| empty?

Thanks for uploading, but I think you missed the setup.hint for
gnome-common, could you check and upload again if necessary?

A directory which has no files (setup.hint nor packages) is ignored by
upset.

| No, I don't think we need it.  Put it in X11 and others?  Or should we
| request another category again?

The problem is that some stuff is backend (ORBit2, libbonobo, GConf,
VFS), some is frontend (GTK, libglade, libgnomecanvas, etc.), some are
desktop-related (metacity, nautilus, gnome-session), etc.  What we have
already is very spread out, and some things can't be well categorized
right now.  I still think we need a GNOME category.

| It was a request from Jari.  It may be that he comes back with a fixed
| version of his package.  I think I add this to my list and maintain it
| myself if he doesn't respond until the weekend.  Or you may ask Reini,
| he has also lot of packages, but he wants to contribute this GIS stuff
| and this needs sqlite too.  Maybe we should provide two packages,
| sqlite2 and sqlite3, IIRC 2 & 3 versioned releases they are incompatible.

I built sqlite-2.8.x for use in my libgda, so if you need someone for
sqlite2 that would be pretty easy for me.  Can both be installed in
parallel?

| Or send me your READMEs?  No just kidding, I don't care much at the moment
| if there are more or less packages.  I think we should get the stuff
| uploaded to get some feedback from the beta testers, even if the README is
| missing.

Before you upload, let me go through the packages and see what's needed.
~ I've already run tests on GConf and gnome-vfs by building their perl
modules, and it looks like something's missing; I'm building GConf from
your source now to figure it out, and while I'm at it I'll fix a few
things so that it'll be ready to post.

BTW, I think those packages whose libs are versioned 2 or 2.0 should
also be numbered with a '2' (i.e. libbonobo(ui)2, GConf2, gnome-vfs2,
libgnome(ui)2).  Notice I've done this with libglade and libgnomecanvas,
but not libwnck (which is libwnck-1), and I believe there's precedent in
the linux distros for this.

| Also to investigate, which packages need postinstall scripts, I know a
few,
| but for sure there are more.

I'll start checking this out.

| I'll try that.  The nautilus problem is known, just no idea yet what to do
| about the XKB errors.

Haven't yet got that far.

| I just step through the list provided at the GNOME website, I've arrived
| at bug-buddy, so it is time to put some stuff up, now as the users may
| submit bugs to the tracker;)

Let's make sure that any bugs are in GNOME and not in what we've done first.

| Just finished evolution-data-server, finally. Lets see if it works.

Good luck.