Re: gnome 2.8.0 and external dependencies

Gerrit,

Going through this more thoroughly:

Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
We are missing some of them:
      libfam
      libgpg-error
      libgcrypt
      libtasn1
      opencdk
      gnutls
      libgsf
      mozilla

I'm pretty sure opencdk is a prereq for gnutls; I'm not sure exactly what gnutls is needed for (gaim? mozilla?), nor libgpg-error or libgcrypt, but they are definitely not necessary for the desktop or core libs.

libgsf-1.10.1 contains three libraries: libgsf-1 requires libgobject-2.0 and libxml2; libgsf-win32-1 is for PLATFORM_WIN32 and requires libgsf-1; there's also a libgsf-gnome-1 which requires libbonobo (?) and a gnome-vfs module. I've built libgsf with the first two, and I can rebuild this again once GConf and gnome-vfs are ready. Not sure why it's listed as a "prereq" though; it should be listed in the development chain with everything else.

I think we can skip libfam and mozilla for now;)

Do we have a choice? :-)

Wait for announcements of:
libxml2
libxslt
gtk-doc
glib

Are these all up-to-date now?

then you can come with:
libIDL
ORBit2

libIDL is already up-to-date (our 0.8.3-2 = upstream 0.8.4).

I'm having trouble with ORBit2 suddenly; I've tried both the current version (2.12.0), and then the current port (2.10.3), but neither build now. The first step in building ORBit2 is to build the orbit-idl-2 compiler (dependent on libIDL, which is current), which is then used throughout the rest of the build process to generate C code from IDL files. orbit-idl-2 will compile now, but when it is run I get a *Windows* error message (in a dialog box) saying that the application failed to initialize. (This happened well before my cygheap problem, so I don't think their related.)

Obviously, everything worked properly when I first built ORBit2-2.10.3, and that binary package still runs, so it shouldn't be the update to cygwin or glib2, nor autotools because the same ORBit2-2.10.3-1-src package doesn't work now (with the previous autotools), so maybe gcc is the culprit? The current ORBit2-2.10.3-1 was built with gcc-3.3.1-3; could _you_ try building it with gcc-3.3.3-3 and let me know your results?

In the meantime, is ORBit2-2.10.3 sufficient for libbonobo and GConf 2.8?

and I'll follow with:
intltool
libbonobo
pango
atk
gtk+

Only libbonobo requires ORBit2; the others could be updated as soon as they're ready. gtk+ is currently 2.4.10, after a number of bugfixes since our 2.4.4. More noticably, atk and pango versions have been bumped, and I know that libgnomeprint-2.8.0 needs pango >= 1.5, so updating pango will be helpful.

and then we'll try to get GConf up and running...

Unfortunately this is not within my abilities to help fix. Good luck!

After all that, I have the following packages ready or almost ready; those with a * need to be updated to Gnome 2.8:

Prereqs from freedesktop.org:
desktop-file-utils *
hicolor-icon-theme
shared-mime-info *
startup-notification

Gnome stuff:
gail *
gnome-common *
gnome-icon-theme
gnome-keyring *
gnome-mime-data
gnome-themes *
gtk2-x11-engines
gtkglext
gtkspell
libgda2
libgnomecanvas2
libgsf
librsvg2 *
libwnck
vte

C++ bindings:
glibmm24
gtkglextmm12
gtkmm24
libsigc++2  (req. for all of these)
libglademm24
libgnomecanvasmm26
libxml++26

Perl bindings:
perl-ExtUtils-Depends  (buildtime req.)
perl-ExtUtils-PkgConfig  (buildtime req.)
perl-Glib *
perl-Gnome2-Canvas
perl-Gnome2-Rsvg
perl-Gnome2-Vte
perl-Gnome2-Wnck
perl-Gtk2 *
perl-Gtk2-GLExt
perl-Gtk2-GladeXML *
perl-Gtk2-Spell
perl-Gtk2-TrayIcon
perl-OpenGL  (req. for Gtk2::GLExt)

Python bindings:
Numeric  (prereq for PyGTK)
pygtk2
pygtkglext  (not sure if PyOpenGL is needed for this one, but I have it)
pygtkspell
pyorbit

Ruby bindings:
ruby-gnome2-all

I'm not sure how many of the bindings should be in the distro, but I think some of the basics would be nice.

After updating that stuff, I'd like to get libgnomeprint, libgnomeprintui, and diacanvas2 next, together with their bindings. But I need to get pango-1.6.0 for that, and more importantly, I need help with my cygheap problem (see the main list from last night).

Once that's fixed, then I should be ready to ITP the stuff from fd.o, libgnomecanvas2, and libwnck for starters, and we'll go from there.

BTW, I will be busy the next week or two, but by the first week of October things should be back to normal, in case nothing happens by then.

Thanks for your help,

Yaakov