Re: [ITP] cdrtools-2.01

Quoting Corinna Vinschen <vinschen@redhat.com>:

> The author provides a ProDVD edition, which is based on the same source
> as cdrecord, but contains proprietary code to access DVD drives.  By
> providing a closed source application in binary only form linked against
> Cygwin, he's infringing the GPL.  I've contacted Joerg by mail to solve
> this issue but until then, I'm not happy with providing the tool in the
> net distro.  It feels wrong.

Agreed. cdrtools itself is GPL, so he must see what he is doing is wrong.

If he balks, you may wish to bring his attention to the clause he recently added
in cdrecord/cdrecord.c lines 296-343. Basically, he is upset that companies like
SuSE and RedHat create "inofficial branches" and aren't following the GPL.

So he really can't complain others aren't following the GPL, if he himself is in
violation. Of course, he could argue it's a matter of interpretation.

I'll hold off packaging cdrtools, until I hear from you.

-Ross