More setup 2.427 problems.

Hi,

I should begin by admitting to being a newbie, but
hopefully that won't be relevant. I've also been
experiencing problems with setup 2.427 (as have quite
a few people), and although I have only just
downloaded the Cygwin stuff I want I haven't tried to
install yet for reasons that are too long to go into
here, so I can't tell if the install from local
directory error occurs on my system, though. I'm going
to try to give as detailed a description as I can of
my problems, so here goes:

I'm using Windows 98 1e, OneTel Broadband (supposedly
512kbps, but it claims to work at 576000bps), and
Internet Explorer 6 (actually, it's more like
6.x.x.x).

Having started setup.exe, after negotiating the
chooser window (which took a while. BTW, to avoid
confusion, I think it would be a good idea to replace
the X-in-a-box, that signifies you want something,
with a tick), when I tried to download, the program
seemed to shoot quickly through (without actually
downloading anything, although it did create the
directory structure) before I got a dialog box like
this:

Cygwin Setup
-------------------------------
Download Incomplete. Try again?

      Yes         No

I chose Yes, and got this:

Cygwin Setup
Unable to get setup.ini from
<ftp://mirrors.rcn.net/pub/sourceware/cygwin>

        OK

This problem actually occurred first with a different
mirror - the one that appears on the top of the
mirrors list. I had to log off after getting that far,
and tried the mirror mentioned above (then got to this
point) the following day, so it's not a
mirror-specific problem.

I was now able to select a different mirror, so I
chose the top one. Everything I'd picked in the
chooser window was as far as I could tell still there.
(although checking it all would not be practical,
especially if I'd be able to get no further). I moved
past it, and this time the downloading occurred.

Despite my connection speed, download (BTW, I'd chosen
the default, Direct Connection) only seemed to occur
at 59.5 kbps average and so took over two hours, so
I'm reluctant to have to go through it again - leading
to the question of will I be able to use a later,
fixed version of setup.exe to install what I've
already downloaded if the current one fails to install
on my platform too?

I did have to leave the room quite a bit - well, I
couldn't watch the screen for two hours - but at some
point, PROBABLY after the download claimed to be 90%
of the way through, I am pretty sure that either it
sped up immensely or stopped early, and I'm not sure
what to make of that - perhaps it didn't go all the
way to 100% since I hadn't chosen to download every
cygwin package, but as I didn't choose as high a
proportion of the stuff as 90% I'm worried about this.

Even so, everything I wanted seemed to have come
through - except the source for crypt. It is possible
I forgot to select that, but I don't think I did, and
with all the problems I was facing it could certainly
have been setup.exe's fault - more on this later.

However, it had come through into a directory with a
name corresponding to the name of the first mirror I'd
tried - the second, successful one had a directory
with a corresponding name but that only had a
setup.ini file in it. (Do I need to do anything about
this?)

Plus, although I'd put setup.exe into a folder
entitled C:\cygcache and run it from there (and used
it as the directory to download into), another folder,
C:\cygwin, was created as well. It contains only 5
very small files in C:\cygwin\etc\setup. From the
User's Guide, it seems that all I should need to move
between machines to install Cygwin on other machines
(And I will need to do this) is the cygcache folder,
implying that there'd have been no need to create
another folder - and what if I'd entitled my first
folder cygwin instead of cygcache? Is there something
I will have to do involving moving files from this
folder into cygcache?

Finally, I googled for a Cygwin mirror site to get the
crypt source (and later did this with the new version
of gmp and it's source) and, not sure if these could
safely be put into appropriately-named folders in
cygcache, I put them in a folder by the name of
C:\cygcrypt. This brings up the final question: can I
safely put them into cygcache (and delete the older
gmp) using Windows Explorer without needing to alter
setup.ini or anything before trying to install them?
What about after the rest's been installed? Can I just
use Windows Explorer (or "My Computer" - or perhaps
File Manager, come to think of it) to move them (and
some C++ source files of my own) into Cygwin's
directory without anything being screwed up or any of
Cygwin's system files needing to be altered?

</LONG EMAIL> Thanks for any help,

James McLaughlin.