Re: Setup breakage -- gdb output

Max Bowsher wrote:

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, David A. Cobb wrote:

Using SETUP 2.427 (and re-downloaded it just today to make sure it wasn't
compromised).

While downloading the Xorg stuff, I get a message box
Microsoft Visual C Runtime: "The application has requested termination in an
unusual manner . . "

That's not good... Definitely sounds like a bug.

And that's all for that.

Repeats with perfect consistency, but I'm not sure it's always during
the same file download.

Q: HOW TO DEBUG THIS -- I know Setup is not, itself, a Cygwin app; so I
wouldn't expect gdb to be much help.

gdb works just fine on non-Cygwin apps, as long as you have the debug
symbols in them. Build setup from source, and you should be able to debug
it.

I've put a debug build at:
http://cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/

should that be easier for you.

IIRC, that error message means abort() was called.

Max.

Yes, thank you.
I used the MinGW32 port of gdb. Output is attached. It doesn't tell me anything; the same error message issued,
this time I wasn't downloading the Xorg stuff -- the error occurred during download of postgresql. Nothing shows in what I see as output, no events that I was catching (or know how to catch). At the end, there's no stack or anything to debug.

ATTACHED: My INSTALLED.DB, Latest SETUP.LOG.FULL, CYGCHECK OUTPUT, GDB OUTPUT
All BZIP2

-- David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate "By God's Grace, I am a Christian man; by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim: R.French, Tr. Life is too short to tolerate crappy software!

begin:vcard
fn:David A. Cobb
n:Cobb;David A.
adr:;;7 Lenox Av #1;West Warwick;RI;02893-3918;USA
email;internet:Superbiskit@cox.net
title:Independent Software Consultant
note:PGP Key ID#0x4C293929 effective 01/28/2004
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
version:2.1
end:vcard