Re: Gnome for cygwin

Hi Jani,

I moved this thread to cygwin-apps, are you already subscribed there?

you wrote:
> I might be able to help with some... Since I'm messing with Gnome stuff
> already... =)

Great!  Yaakov and I have already started to port the most needed stuff.
But there are so many packages, we really need more hands.

What is already included:
glib2
atk
pango
gtk2
libIDL
ORBit2
intltool

plus some graphic libs and other prerequisites.

Currently I'm working on libbonobo.

Next needed packages are:
gconf
gnome-vfs

I have problems with the gnome-vfs testsuite, there are errors.

If you could help to track this down?  If you need help with building
libbonobo with shared libs I could send you my patches, but I guess I'll
upload it the next weekend anyway.  Then all prerequisites to build
gconf and gnome-vfs are fullfilled.

Then there are still many pending packages, just pick one from the
installationorder list and build it.  Look into the source packages
which are already uploaded (e.g. libcroco or lcms for a small package or
glib2 for a bigger package, we use the generic-build-script as base
script, then modify it for splitting the distributed packages into devel
and runtime and doc packages, plus some additional configure options
(i.e. --disable-static --disable-gtk-doc), then add the path of a fresh
compiled dll to global PATH when the dll is used during the build.  I
posted a libtool patch recently, it is needed when using gcc-3.4 and
latest binutils since there are tags in the objects which are not
recognized by libtool.  I use a patch to libtool which is needed when
fresh compiled executables which are used during the build.  Sometimes
there is also needed to allow libtool to link in static libs like e.g.
termcap into a dll.

The patches are attached.

The installation order list:
shared-mime-info -> Yaakov has a version at his SF site already.
gconf
gnome-mime-data
gnome-vfs
libgnome
libglade
libgnomecanvas
libbonoboui
hicolor-icon-theme  (freedesktop.org)
gnome-icon-theme
gnome-keyring
libgnomeui
startup-notification
gtk-engines
gnome-themes
scrollkeeper
gnome-desktop
libwnck
gnome-panel
gnome-session
vte
gnome-terminal
libgtop
gail
libgtkhtml

Then I could need some hints how to initialize a Gnome session.
How do I start the Gnome desktop?  This is really a stupid question, but
I never found a simple 'Howto' about what needs to be started.  I would
like a simple script like startxwin.sh which starts X when not already
ruinning and fires up all what is needed to get the Gnome desktop on the
screen, say startgnome.sh or so.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=