Re: approval procedure

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

It might help if you included some info about where a particularly obscure
package was leading (e.g., I have no idea what HDF5 is or does, but I may
have heard of the other package you intend to produce that requires it).

HDF5 is a library for fast and efficient storage and recovery of dimensional data. Unlike SQL RDBMs, it is mainly concerned with the portable and efficient storage of large datasets, often of many dimensions (space, time, temperature, etc). Although the kind of queries that can be made are a subset of what one can do with an RDBMS, it is much faster, typically keeping the data in the native representation of the machine (suitably annotated). Then if the HDF5 file is given to someone else, the library automatically converts to the right representation via the API. There are many features in the library including non-trivial data structures like ragged arrays and compound data types, support for different pluggable compression techniques, ability to operate `over a wire' in cluster computing environments, etc. but the basic idea is that is a portable way to have fast, random access to big chunks of dimensional data. (Something you don't have with a text file, say.)

It might help if you included some info about where a particularly obscure
package was leading

The other package I'm working on is a simulator for agent-based modeling (http://www.swarm.org). HDF5 is useful to this package because it provides a way to record the evolving state of a simulation and to load different sets of initial conditions (e.g. geographical maps).

Thanks for the tip about the package-server.