Re: Looks like OpenGL may be up for grabs

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Andre Bleau wrote:

> Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>
> >Christopher schrieb:
> >
> > > It appears that Andre Bleau is no longer subscribed to the cygwin-apps
> > > mailing list.  Andre, if you're out there, please indicate your
> > > willingness to continue to support OpenGL, otherwise it will be availale
> > > for another package maintainer soon.
> >
> >Huh, he replied to my freeglut ITP three weeks ago:
> >Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:42:28 -0400
> >
> >Gerrit
>
> Lets clarify a few points:
>
> 1- I am willing to continue to maintain the OpenGL package. This means that
> I am willing to monitor the cygwin and cygwin-apps mailing list closely and
> answer messages about the OpenGL package.
>
> 2- I am not subscribed to cygwin or cygwin-apps. I am subscribed to
> cygwin-allow and cygwin-apps-allow. I'm reading the archives of cygwin and
> cygwin-apps several times a day, 5 days a week.
>
> 3- IMHO, almost every body should do the same. Hotmail subscribers and the
> like must use a browser to read mail anyway; why not use it to read the
> archives? Being NOT subscribed has many advantages:
>
> A- The archives are updated about 5-10 sec after you send a message.
>
> B- Your mail box is not clogged if you cannot access it for a week.
>
> C- If you're an idiot, you don't need to be taught how to setup a filter to
> redirect cygwin-related message to some specific folder.
>
> D- Less work for the mailing list processor at Red Hat.
>
> E- The archives have a search engine and Google is at your fingertips in
> your browser; so no excuse for not searching before posting.
> F- If you're an idiot, you don't need to be taught how follow trivial
> instructions about how to unsubscribe.
>
> Only people without easy access to a browser really need to subscribe. I
> suggest that the mailing info page, http://cygwin.com/lists.html mention
> that and the above advantages. After following the archives for a few
> weeks, people could decide if subscribing is worthwhile for them or not.

My reply is probably OT for cygwin-apps, but since we have this thread
here anyway...

I completely agree.  FWIW, I've posted the procedure for *replying* to
messages from the archives (in a way that keeps threading) several times
as well.  HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/