Re: [Cygnome2-devel] Re: My pending ITPs / votes & reviews wanted

Hi, Yaakov and all friends on cygwin-apps:

I'm very glad that gtk+/gnome packages could get into Cygwin net release.
If these packages were got into cygwin net release, I think there would be more people
get involved, and these packages have chances to get more mature and stable.
(Currently,  cygnome2 only have one maintainer, me. :-( )

At present gtk2 (and glib2, atk, pango) could work fine on cygwin (with some small fixes.
make check on glib2 still have some failure too),   and I use gaim, gftp, gqview, gvim and
rox, xfce4 every day.

And some small libraries  (such as audiofile, esound, startup-notificiation, libart) work too.

But gnome packages (esp GConf, libbonobo) have a long way to go. Even applications
only based on libgnomeui couldn't go smoothly, stumbling with a lot core dumps.
Not to mention the desktop.

I had thought about to ITP these packages to Cygwin net release and maintain some of
they.  But the limits on my experiences prevented my to do it.
Another reason is that I couldn't (and probably won't in the future) have enough time
to follow the threads on cygwin mailing lists.  I just read them someday or other when
I have spare time.  One of aftereffect is I never noticed the new capability of binutils
to support exporting symbols from .exe until David Huang told me.

As to the prefix (/opt/gnome2 or standard /), .... headache
If it's not /opt/gnome2, we have to rebuild most packages when we have glib2/gtk2 from
Cygwin net release.
What's the others' opinion?

BTW: what about glib-1.2/gtk-1.2 ? There're some applications still using them,
such as wmakerconf and dillo.

Hansom Young