RE: A new method of storing package data base information, proposingpackages, and announcing updates

On 2004-03-27T08:38-0500, Sergey Okhapkin wrote:
) <package name="libfoo" version="0.01" release="1">
) 	<sdesc "The Finite Object Organization library"/>

Close :)

The existing data looks like:

<app>
	<name>aspell-de</name>
	<related-to>aspell</related-to>
	<maintainer>Dr. Volker Zell</maintainer>
	<sdesc>German dictionary files for aspell</sdesc>
	<proposal>
		<date>2004-01-30</date>
		<version>0.50.2</version>
		<post>mailto:cygwin-apps-get.12993@cygwin.com</post>
		<hint>http://cygwin.dev.wapme.net/packages/vzell/cygwin/release/aspell/aspell-de/setup.hint</hint>
		<src>http://cygwin.dev.wapme.net/packages/vzell/cygwin/release/aspell/aspell-de/aspell-de-0.50.2-1-src.tar.bz2</src>
		<bin>http://cygwin.dev.wapme.net/packages/vzell/cygwin/release/aspell/aspell-de/aspell-de-0.50.2-1.tar.bz2</bin>
		<review>Rafael Kitover</review>
	</proposal>
	<votes>Igor Pechtchanski</votes>
	<votes>Gareth Pearce</votes>
	<votes>Rafael Kitover</votes>
</app>
<auto-app>
	<name>aspell-de</name>
	<sdesc>German dictionary files for aspell</sdesc>
	<category>Text</category>
	<bin-dep>cygwin</bin-dep>
	<bin-dep>aspell</bin-dep>
	<related-to>aspell</related-to>
	<proposal>
		<date>2004-01-30</date>
		<version>0.50.2</version>
		<has-bin/>
		<has-src/>
		<has-hint/>
	</proposal>
</auto-app>

(Build information is stored in the -src package, and is not used by any of
the backend utilities.)

This is powerful but time consuming to maintain. The <app> entry is pulled
from mailing list archives but must be tweaked by hand if the previously-
published (but unenforced) formatting guidelines aren't followed. The
<auto-app> entry is pulled from the live setup.hint and is used to generate
the MPL and for other backend processes.

I would like to get away from using One Huge File to store everything known
about Cygwin's package repository. Individual contributors and package
maintainers should be able to modify many of the attributes of these
packages without needing my manual intervention. Plus, processing the entire
data file is time consuming and unnecessary if I only want to operate on one
package (to push an upload or perform a sanity check).

) If all backend processing is xml-based and all setup.hint files have to
) be modified why to not switch the format of setup.hint (and perhaps
) setup.ini) files to xml also? The only disadvantage I see is that

Currently, only my tools use the XML format. All of the utilities that deal
with setup.ini, including the most important utility--setup.exe itself--only
use the structured-text format found in current setup.hint files. The
proposal was to extend the setup.hint format using structured comments so
the existing setup-related utilities (including setup.exe itself) could
remain as they are.

--
Daniel Reed <n@ml.org>	http://naim-users.org/nmlorg/	http://naim.n.ml.org/
The pursuit of pretty formulas and neat theorems can no doubt quickly