Re: Pending Packages List, 2004-03-13

Christopher Faylor wrote:

I am wondering if we should have some different voting rules, too. I
have previously gone on record as thinking that the three vote rule is too easy. Maybe we need a representative council or something.

I'd like to point out that people who start to think about contributing a package at first think that any package is appreciated. This is what I thought, and I recall somebody from this year, who thought that producing the package is the main difficulty. E.g. the following section from the FAQ fuels this kind of thinking:

"If you are willing to be a package maintainer, great. We urgently need
volunteers to prepare and maintain packages, because the priority of the
Cygwin Team is Cygwin itself."

I learned only recently that this is not the case. I still don't fully
understand the reasons, but it might be fair to state and explain this
policy more prominently, e.g. by changing the above section in the FAQ,
so newbies know what to expect.

Andreas.