generic build doubts, part 2

Packaging libungif I had the need to slightly change configure, but had not the will to autoreconf it all, unnecessarily creating a huge patch where only a single line change was needed.
At this very time I discovered patch doesn't by default sets times, and uses current time unless -Z is used.
This of course triggered the "missing" upon make invokation, which is not wanted, if the user doesn't have the autotools, and in this specific case is just lost time anyway.

So I figured: why patch has this strange default?
Shouldn't we use -Z by default?
Would that have "bad effects" apart from the good effect that I wouldn't have turned crazy understanding why file date was current even if I "patched the patch" to have the correct time?

Lapo

--
Lapo 'Raist' Luchini
lapo@lapo.it (PGP & X.509 keys available)