RE: libwin32-perl-0.191 (ready for upload and testing)

Either that or libFOO-perl, like in Debian:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/pool/main/libg/ for an example,
(packages.debian.org is still down.)

>1) Man pages are good, especially since they can be indexed and keyed.
>    Have builders use make manifypods prior to make install.

Sounds good, also, an issue I brought up earlier is that on NTFS
filesystems you can't have "::" in file names, so a Perl user accustomed
to typing "man IO::File" will be surprised to find nothing there.
Perldoc still works fine of course, but the man page does exist and is
just called "IO.File".

So a year ago or so I made a patch for man to translate "::" sequences
to "." on Win32. Haven't done anything with it yet, not sure how good
the code is or if it will apply to the latest version of man, but
attaching it to this message for reference.

>2) Try not to clobber the perllocal.pod, but rather come up with a way
>    to update it (perhaps regenerate it from a pool of fragments?).

Taking a hint from a debian/rules file for a package from Debian, I have
used "make pure_install" instead of "make install" which does not
clobber perllocal.pod, but does not add anything to it either.

Having a script like "update-perllocal" would be nice of course.

>3) Make a vendorinstalldir for Cygwin, to keep our mods separate from
>    user's local mods, but provide a stable api for dependencies like
>    mod-perl or what-not.

Another thought, on FreeBSD ExtUtils::MakeMaker (or a related module) is
somehow smart enough to add module installs to the FreeBSD package
database, and the packages are called "p5-<FOO>-bsdpan" or something of
that sort.

Perhapse we should patch MakeMaker to automatically add package
information for modules users compile from CPAN into a package space
like CPAN-lib<FOO>-perl or similar. And at least create an
/etc/setup/foo.lst.gz so that "rebaseall" will work on user-installed
modules.

--
Rafael