Re: [ITP] xemacs: A powerful, highly customizable open source texteditor and application development system

    Charles> Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
    Charles> Which windowing mode are you proposing?
    >>
    >> X.

    Charles> Well, then there's probably no conflict between your propsed version and
    Charles> the mswindowing one distributed by Andy.

Normally not, but I'll talk to Andy.

    >> Here is my configure line:
    >>
    >> ....  snipp ....
    >> ${srcdir}/configure                                  \
    >> --pdump                                            \
    >> --srcdir=${srcdir}                                 \
    >> --prefix=${prefix}                                 \
    >> --with-mule                                        \
    >> --package-path=/usr/local/lib/xemacs/site-packages:/usr/lib/xemacs/site-packages:/usr/lib/xemacs/xemacs-packages:/usr/lib/xemacs/mule-packages
    >> \
    >> --with_file_coding=yes                             \
    >> --with_msw=no                                      \
    >> --with-modules=no

    Charles> Hmm...I like the athena xaw3d stuff, personally (and it's lighter-wieght
    Charles> than lesstif).  I'll see if I can't find my old build recipe.

I'll try if it works.

    Charles>          --with-scrollbars=lucid \
    Charles>          --with-menubars=lucid \
    Charles>          --with-dialogs=athena \
    Charles>          --with-widgets=athena \
    Charles>          --with-athena=3d \
    Charles> ------------------------

    Charles> Also, if this is an X build, then it ought to have --prefix=/usr/X11R6
    Charles> -- but perhaps you might want the following package-path instead, so
    Charles> that native and X versions of XEmacs can share the same packages?  And
    Charles> shouldn't they go into the share heirarchy, instead of lib?

Yes we can put them under share. It's only because I have them under lib for years now
and it's the default for an xemacs installation.

    Charles> --package-path=~/.xemacs::/usr/local/share/xemacs/site-packages:/usr/share/xemacs/site-packages:/usr/share/xemacs/xemacs-packages:/usr/share/xemacs/mule-packages

You don't have to specify ~/.xemacs explicitely in the --package-path variable it gets searched
automatically as soon as you have one.

    Charles> Now, many of the files under /usr/lib/xemacs-21.4.14 are cross-platform,
    Charles> and REALLY should be in the /usr/share heirarchy.  Infact, I believe
    Charles> that EVERYTHING under /usr/lib/xemacs-21.4.14/ EXCEPT for
    Charles> /usr/lib/xemacs-21.4.14/i686-pc-cygwin/ should be moved to
    Charles> /usr/share/xemacs-21.4.14/.   To do this, I think you need to specify

    Charles>    --datadir=/usr/share

    Charles> (note, NOT ${prefix}/share, since ${prefix} is /usr/X11R6.  This way a
    Charles> later xemacs-native-bin package could use the same xemacs-??? stuff as
    Charles> xemacs-X-bin)

    Charles> I think you also need to apply this patch taken from the Mandrake RPM
    Charles> (sorry for the linewrapping)

    Charles> --- xemacs-21.4.9/lisp/find-paths.el.warly      2002-09-07
    Charles> 20:30:28.000000000 +0200
    Charles> +++ xemacs-21.4.9/lisp/find-paths.el    2002-09-09 12:23:30.000000000 +0200
    Charles> @@ -103,7 +103,7 @@
    Charles>     (or
    Charles>      ;; installed
    Charles>      (paths-file-readable-directory-p (paths-construct-path (list directory
    Charles> -                                                               "lib"
    Charles> +                                                               "share"

    Charles> emacs-program-name)))
    Charles>      ;; in-place or windows-nt
    Charles>      (and

I'll try moving to share...

    Charles> Now, --with-site-lisp is deprecated, so I wouldn't recommend copying

That's why I'm not using it.

    Charles> that.  I also suspect that --with-dragndrop won't work with an X-based
    Charles> build of XEmacs on cygwin (at least, not in the way we Windows denizens
    Charles> would expect...an X-only drag-n-drop wouldn't be that helpful.

Right

    Charles> FWIW, on my Mandrake system, the following files are in an
    Charles> "xemacs-extras" package:
    Charles> /usr/bin/b2m
    Charles> /usr/bin/ctags
    Charles> /usr/bin/etags
    Charles> /usr/bin/ootags
    Charles> /usr/bin/rcs-checkin
    Charles> /usr/share/doc/xemacs-extras-21.4.12
    Charles> /usr/share/doc/xemacs-extras-21.4.12/README
    Charles> /usr/share/man/man1/ctags.1.bz2
    Charles> /usr/share/man/man1/etags.1.bz2

We can make an xemacs-extra package, but there's still the conflict with the ctags package.

    Charles> There's a problem with your proposed distribution: you *MUST* distribute
    Charles> all relevant source code, including libraries.  It's not acceptable for
    Charles> us to provide an xemacs binary which is linked against a static LDAP
    Charles> library yet not also provide the source for that LDAP library.

    Charles> I'm afraid you'll either need to turn off LDAP support, or ITP an LDAP
    Charles> package.

I think I go for an LDAP package...

    Charles> now that we have a rootless X server, an X-based cygwin-XEmacs makes a
    Charles> lot of sense -- and it'll use the XEmacs/lisp coded file selector, so
    Charles> even GUI file selection will understand cygwin paths.  I might just
    Charles> switch...

I hope so :-)

By the way I can only work on it next weekend, I'm off for a week.

    Charles> Chuck

Ciao
  Volker