RE: [Update][Test] base-passwd

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 09:55:11AM -0000, Morrison, John wrote:
>> Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>>> Is it safe to rely on /tmp already existing when the postinstall
>>> script runs?  Then it's OK.  It might be safer though, to use /etc
>>> for the temporary files, too.
>>
>> I don't know.  I tried using ~ but it gave me errors (home wouldn't
>> exist at that time).  I could add an empty /tmp to the package...?
>
> If you used ~ you're out of luck when using /bin/sh.  It doesn't know
> about ~, just $HOME.

That would explain it.

> But even then you won't know if there is a home directory.

If this was initial installation - there almost certainly won't be,
because it's created in /etc/profile

>> I'll repackage with /etc for the tmp files tonight :)
>
> Cool.  It might just be my paranoia but...

Oh goodness no - mine too :)

J.

Information in this e-mail and any attachments are confidential, and may
to any third party without our permission. There is no intention to
create any legally binding contract or other binding commitment through
the use of this electronic communication unless it is issued in accordance
with the Experian Limited standard terms and conditions of purchase or
other express written agreement between Experian Limited and the recipient
Experian Limited (registration number 653331) Registered office:
Talbot House, Talbot Street, Nottingham NG80 1TH

Although Experian has taken reasonable steps to ensure that this communication
and any attachments are free from computer virus, you are advised to take
your own steps to ensure that they are actually virus free.