RE: [RFC] Globally creating a user and a group "root"

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> John,
>
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 03:44:44PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>>
>>> But then what happens if somebody messes up there
>>> /etc/[passwd|group] and have to create it again?  Does
>>> mk[passwd|group] do the changes automatically?
>>
>> mkpasswd and mkgroup don't create an Everyone entry since August
>> 2002.
>>
>> The remaining problem is the special handling of root.  I guess it's
>> best to create the /etc/group entry already in mkgroup. For mkpasswd
>> it might be best, to add a special handling like this:  If a Windows
>> user "root" exists, give it the uid 0.
>
> any chance you can poke the base-passwd script soon, to check for a
> user and a group with SID S-1-1-0 in the existing /etc/passwd and
> /etc/group files and remove them silently?
>
> Also it would be good if the script adds the following entry to
> /etc/group, if possible as the first line:
>
>   root:S-1-5-32-544:0:

OK, just a few questions:

1) does your script do all this?
2) does the script need to be run after passwd-grp.sh?
3) will your script run OK as a postinstall? (I know it prompts
	for information...)
4) I get an "Error in addUserRights (LsaAddAccountRights returned
	0xc0000060=STATUS_NO_SUCH_PRIVILEGE)!" on a w2k box (I have
	full, local, admin rights.  Is this OK? (or have I lost the
	plot again :|

:)

J.

to any third party without our permission. There is no intention to
create any legally binding contract or other binding commitment through
the use of this electronic communication unless it is issued in accordance
with the Experian Limited standard terms and conditions of purchase or
other express written agreement between Experian Limited and the recipient
Experian Limited (registration number 653331)
Registered office: Talbot House, Talbot Street, Nottingham NG80 1TH