RE: UPDATED: mutt-1.4.1-1

> On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 12:31:47AM -0500, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> > Yes, it's true: Mutt's been updated again:
> >
> > http://home.att.net/~g.r.vansickle/cygwin/mutt/setup.hint
> > http://home.att.net/~g.r.vansickle/cygwin/mutt/mutt-1.4.1-1.tar.bz2
> > http://home.att.net/~g.r.vansickle/cygwin/mutt/mutt-1.4.1-1-src.tar.bz2
> >
> > Now, this overwrites /etc/Muttrc and /etc/mime.types with extreme
> prejudice, as
> > both are overridable per-user; Corinna, did we decide this was kosher?
>
> I would really prefer not to override the /etc files but instead to
> create them in /etc/defaults/etc and to write a postinstall script for
> copying the defaults to /etc if necessary.

We (and by "we" I of course mean somebody else ;-)) should put words to that
effect on http://cygwin.com/setup.html in that case.  Maybe a sample postinstall
script too.  How things read now, it really looks like the way I have it is the
accepted practice.

>  Even though /etc/Muttrc is
> overridable by the user, I don't know if /etc/mime.types is overridable.
> Is it?

It is, I checked.

>  Anyway, no chance for an admin to set proper defaults for her
> environment.
>
> And yes, I know that some of my packages don't follow this path currently
> either, tcsh comes to mind, but I'll change that in the next version.
>
> The package is ok with me but please consider an update.

Can we upload this one, and wait for -2 for the fancy stuff?  I can warn about
the /etc files being overwritten in the announcement.  I see and agree with your
point, but I'd hate to wait another few "mutt weeks" to get this out,
considering the length of a typical "mutt week" ;-).

--
Gary R. Van Sickle