Re: HEADSUP maintainers of: links mod_php4 mod_ssl mutt wget

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 04:16:10AM -0500, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> Just gotta get the #&*(@#& Muttrc installing, which is giving me fits, and the
> new mutt is set.  Muttrc is where the incorrect "/usr/local/whatever/manual.txt"
> is coming from.  If we could ignore that problem I'm ready to go now AFAIK.

I don't quite understand that problem, actually.  mutt has a Muttrc.head.in
file which defines the path as

macro generic <f1> "!less @docdir@/manual.txt\n" "Show Mutt documentation"
macro index   <f1> "!less @docdir@/manual.txt\n" "Show Mutt documentation"
macro pager   <f1> "!less @docdir@/manual.txt\n" "Show Mutt documentation"

from which Muttrc.head and in turn Muttrc is generated.  Looking into
the Makefile it seems to me, that you just have to define

  --docdir=/usr/share/doc/mutt

on the configure command line.  Did you try that?

There's another problem anyway.  AFAICS your mutt package has no postinstall
script which creates /etc/Muttrc only if it doesn't exist.  Instead it
overwrites /etc/Muttrc on every install.  What about installing Muttrc into
/etc/defaults/etc and writing a postinstall script which just copies that
Muttrc into /etc if it doesn't exist already.

This naturally leads to the problem that users which already have a
Muttrc file will not get the above fixed path to manual.txt.  I'd
think adding a prominent hint in the announcement would be sufficient
for now.

Red Hat, Inc.