Re: GIFs in the tcm binary package

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 01:31:23PM +0200, Benjamin Riefenstahl wrote:
> Hi Ronald,
>
> Ronald Landheer-Cieslak <blytkerchan@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> > I just downloaded the binary package and found a lot of GIF files in
> > them. I was wondering whether they were LZW-compressed: `file'
> > doesn't tell met and `mozilla' shows them properly, but I was
> > worried anyway (patents in Europe...)
>
> AFAIK, Unisys only wants license fees for software that creates GIF
> files that use LZW.  Use and display of GIF files should not be a
> problem.
>
> But of course I am not layer and I may be missing something ...
I thought (but am by no means certain) that the algorithm for decompressing
LZW is also covered by the patent, in which case you'd need a license for any
software that decompresses it as well.

Again, IANAL - I was just worried that someone might get into trouble..

rlc

--
Welcome to Lake Wobegon, where all the men are strong, the women are pretty,
and the children are above-average.