Re: List of package owners

Gareth Pearce wrote:

There are a few packages that lack owners.  The most notable may
be m4.  Chuck and I exchanged some private email about this last
week.  Anyone up for maintaining m4?

Hmm despite the apparent lack of upstream development on this one - m4 is
pretty rock solid (compared to astyle at least) ... I'll have a deeper look
to see if I'm willing to offer on this one.

Well, actually Gary V. Vaughan has been working hard on m4 all summer. If you grab CVS

cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/m4 login anonymous
<hit enter for password>
cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/m4 co m4

you'll see that the whole thing has been modularized with plugins. I sent Gary some patches last week and he incorporated them, but there are still a number of issues with building it cleanly on cygwin.

Most of these are probably not m4's fault, but are shortcomings in the libtool (or libltdl) implementation on cygwin. I haven't tried to rebuild in about a week, so things may have changed in the meantime.

If anyone is interested, I can post my build recipe and notes...

--
Chuck