Re: Test packages, or lack thereof (was It's a snapshot)

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 03:52:58AM +0100, Elfyn McBratney wrote:
>Christopher Faylor <cgf-idd@cygwin.com> wrote:
>>If there are no serious issues with this version then I will probably
>>flip the switch and make 1.5.3 the latest, current version of cygwin,
>>switching all of the test versions of packages to be current at that
>>time.
>
>What's the plan regarding packages that haven't gone into a 'test'
>phase?  I haven't even started (well, I'm configuring now) mine.
>
>Just curious,

I don't know if I need to say this again for the 500th time or not but
just on the off chance that I do: There is no need to issue test
packages unless you need the functionality of 1.5.x or they are
exporting some of the new types.  I am not going to reissue gcc, for
instance.  I really don't think that it is likely that gcc will be
producing object files greater than 2^32.

We're not going to wait for stragglers to switch over.  I gave three
weeks notice about this switch.  I suppose I should have been issuing
periodic updates, too.

I'd probably be dead and buried if I tried to wait for everyone to move
to 1.5.2.

cgf