Re: [ITP] wtf

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 08:56:57AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> Great, that makes 3 votes.  Now all I have to do is get someone to review
> the packaging (nudge, nudge, wink, wink).
FWIW, I've installed the binary - it seems to be working nicely. I've tried
bowth wtf and wtfindex.
I've also recompiled the source to see if I can - no problems..

> I don't see a particular value in weeding out duplicates, as all variants
> will be displayed, so no information is lost.
Actually, they only get displayed if they're in different files - bug?

> However, I'll see if I could "hide" the original acronyms...
The thing that got me to ask was this:
$ wtf iirc
iirc: If I Recall Correctly
iirc: if I recall correctly

and personally, I think this may come off as odd:
$ wtf iwfm
iwfm: It Works For Me.  Also WFM. Corinna, you want credit for this one?

someone not familiar with the web version of the OLOCA might frown at this..
I don't really mind, though..

However, there are some things not quite in accordance with the wtf way of
doing things in the OLOCA:

$ wtf Cygwin
Cygwin: Multiple variants have been suggested, take your pick:  Coolness You Get Where Initially None (mine) Can You Guess What's Implemented Next (mine) Cramming Your Gut With Indispensable Necessities (Gary R. Van Sickle) Cygwin: Your Greatest Winner In Necessities (Ronald Landheer-Cieslak) Can't You Get With It, Ninnies? (Christopher Faylor)

IMHO, this should be
$ wtf Cygwin
Cygwin: Coolness You Get Where Initially None (mine)
Cygwin: Can You Guess What's Implemented Next (mine)
Cygwin: Cramming Your Gut With Indispensable Necessities (Gary R. Van Sickle)
Cygwin: Cygwin: Your Greatest Winner In Necessities (Ronald Landheer-Cieslak)
Cygwin: Can't You Get With It, Ninnies? (Christopher Faylor)

but I don't see how to do that at the moment - at least not without either
patching wtf so it takes multiple entries for the same acronym in a single
file into account, or making several files for the various duplicates..

Hmm.. this looks like a PTC situation..

Anyways, this doesn't alter my vote in any way :)

Perhaps, if I have the time @ home, I'll work out a patch to handle different
meanings for the same acronym "correctly" .. perhaps ..
<lament>
	ah, for time
	'tis such a precious gift
	wasting it's a heinous crime