RE: Setup Query for Gary: FreeResource

> Robert Collins wrote:
> > On Sat, 2003-08-02 at 05:16, Max Bowsher wrote:
> >> According to the MS docs, FreeResource is an obsolete 16-bit
> compatibility
> >> function. Do we really want/need to use it?
> >
> > MS  recommend using DeleteIcon etc rather than it for new code - and
> > yes, its nice to free resources we've used :}.

Trouble is, its a dialog template that I'm loading, and there's no
"DestroyDialog()" or something to otherwise do the job.

> Well, yes, obviously, its nice, but will FreeResource do it? In the offline
> docs I was looking at, FreeResource wasn't even documented - just mentioned
> in a list of obsolete functions. It is documented in MSDN - as being the
> complement to LoadResource.

Yep, thusly:

"The FreeResource function is obsolete and is only supported for backward
compatibility with 16-bit Microsoft® Windows®."

Sheesh, I must be getting old!

> We can only guess how LockResource fits into
> this picture.

No need to guess, my good man!:

"The return type of LoadResource is HGLOBAL for backward compatibility, not
because the function returns a handle to a global memory block. Do not pass this
handle to the GlobalLock or GlobalFree function. To obtain a pointer to the
resource data, call the LockResource function."

"The pointer returned by LockResource is valid until the module containing the
resource is unloaded. It is not necessary to unlock resources because the system
automatically deletes them when the process that created them terminates."

As I assume is clear, the only reason I'm dinking with these templates at all is
to get the original size of the various pages as specified in res.rc.  I think
the FreeResource() should be left in unless it causes problems, or until a
better way can be found to get the needed info, and I did do considerable
research to those ends and came up empty.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.