Re: ask-2.5.0 - a new package for review

On Mon, 2003-06-30 at 07:21, Max Bowsher wrote:

> I could have misinterpreted cgf's veto. I'm not entirely sure whether he was
> vetoing the package, or the use of yet another build system.

The build system per se doesn't matter.

We hashed this out waay back.

What matters is:
The binary layout.
The source layout.

To that end we had two acceptable source layouts, and one acceptable
binary layout, documented at http://www.cygwin.com/setup.html.

I don't know why cgf veto'd the cygbuild package - and I'm not going to
guess. I can't imagine the use of 'cygbuild' being veto'd - we'd have to
pull quite a few packages if the build scripts are controlled... all of
mine among them.

That said, I really don't think we want to formalise the package
creation script. If we -really- are heading to compatibility with any
existing format, surely our efforts are bested directed to achieving
that, not to (relatively minor) fiddling within our adhoc format.

Rob