Re: ATTN: Apache, Perl, Python, and Exim maintainers

You need make no changes now.

However, since I've released gdbm-1.8.3, the NEXT version of your package that you compile will be linked against cyggdbm-3.dll from the 'libgdbm3' package, and NOT cyggdbm.dll from the 'libgdbm' package.

So, your NEXT release should change its requires: line from 'libgdbm' to 'libgdbm3'.

Oh, and if your package uses the NDBM or DBM "personalities" of gdbm, you'll need to add -lgdbm_compat to your link command, and not just -lgdbm. See below for a configure.in snippet that I used in cvs to handle this issue.

</phone operator voice> Please make a note of it </end>

--Chuck

  dnl Now check for libgdbm and gdbm.h
  AC_CHECK_LIB([gdbm], [gdbm_open],[
    AC_CHECK_HEADER([gdbm.h],[
      AC_DEFINE(
        [HAVE_GDBM], [1],
        [Define if you have the gdbm library and headers])
      LIBS="$LIBS -lgdbm"
      ac_cv_have_gdbm=yes
      AC_CHECK_LIB([gdbm_compat], [dbm_open],[
        LIBS="$LIBS -lgdbm_compat"],[])
      LIBS="$LIBS -lgdbm"],[
      AC_MSG_ERROR([cannot find gdbm.h])])],[
    AC_MSG_ERROR([cannot find libgdbm])])

Charles Wilson wrote:
Because gdbm has been split into 3 different packages (and cyggdbm.dll is now in the 'libgdbm' package, not the 'gdbm' pacakge), I modified the following setup.hint files on sourceware:

apache/setup.hint
apache/mod_php4/setup.hint
apache/mod_ssl/setup.hint

perl/setup.hint
python/setup.hint
exim/setup.hint

to change the requires: dependency on 'gdbm' to 'libgdbm'. Thus, you don't need to do anything NOW, but you probably need to note this change so that your next release reflects the correct dependency.

--Chuck

P.S. I also change cvs/setup.hint, but I'm the maintainer for that package. I've made a note of it. <g>