Re: RPM and shared library support

Max Bowsher wrote:
Don't just copy stuff!
Use "libtoolize --copy --force"

Yes.

This is probably a very dumb question, but what's the difference between
cygbz2-1.dll and libbz2.dll.a (other than cygbz2-1.dll being a shared
library DLL, and libbz2.dll.a being in import library?)

That *IS* the difference.

Well, yeah, but there's more to it.

Back in the dawn of time, there was cygbz21.0.dll and its import library libbz2.dll.a. That is, the '2' is part of the library name, not a version number. The DLL version number was '1.0' and was concatenated to the library name without a '-' -- thank you, stupid libbz2 Makefile.

However, the API changed (slightly) at one point, and I had to bump the version number. Instead of using the (braindead) library versioning that was, at the time, built into the libbz2 Makefiles, I took the opportunity to make the DLL versioning look more like "normal" cygwin shared libs: cygfoo-X.dll, not cygfooX.Y.dll.

So, the new (current) release has

cygbz2-1.dll and its import library libbz2.dll.a

Note that the import name is the same as before. This means that new compiles that say -lbz2 will automagically link against the new import lib and get the new DLL. It is no longer possible to compile an app against the old DLL(*) -- and that is a good thing. But, I put the old DLL into its own package so that existing programs that had ALREADY linked against the old DLL could still find/use it.

(*) Well, now you can actually link directly to the DLL itself and skip the whole import lib thing -- but that's a corner case. Yes, you can use a gun to shoot yourself in the foot, but why would you want to?

--Chuck