Re: PCRE package for consideration

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Max Bowsher wrote:

> Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
> > On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> >> Am Donnerstag, 17. April 2003 um 14:01 schriebst du:
> >> I wonder about all the ON_WINDOWS and NOT_ON_WINDOWS stuff in the
> >> Makefile.in, why is it used for Cygwin?  CYGWIN != WINDOWS I changed
> >> parts in Makefile.in (added 2x -no-undefined and the comment which
> >> defines Cygwin == Windows) and changed configure.in (removed Cygwin
> >> definitions) and it builds after replacing[1] the included ltmain.sh
> >> from libtool-1.4.3 with the Cygwin libtool-devel version (works with
> >> minor problems with the Cygwin libtool called libtool-devel, see the
> >> install() in the script which I extended therefore).
> > Cygwin != Windows but Cygwin does run on Windows. Hence, we need a DLL,
> > and, for Cygwin, we need a "special" prefix for the libs: "cyg"
> > Also, the ON_WINDOWS and NOT_ON_WINDOWS makes it behave properly on MinGW,
> > which is part of what I wanted
> >
> >> [1] = relibtoolizing et.al. with the included reconf-cygwin.sh
> >>       shellscript
> > The Cygwin/Windows part doesn't use Libtool for a reason: DLLs don't get
> > created properly with the current libtool (as you have apparently found
> > out in another mail).
>
> Uh, the *Windows* part might not, but the *Cygwin* part SHOULD.
>
> Current libtool (1.5) DOES create DLLs properly. And you get the cyg prefix
> for free.
It should, but doesn't.

I don't know which part of Libtool is responsible for mis-linking the
pcreposix DLL, but it does not get linked as it should be, as Gerrit found
out while trying.

I am thouroughly unfamiliar with the inner workings of Libtool (and
frankly would like to keep it that way) so as long as it doesn't work, I
simply can't use it. I don't want to play down on any of the work that has
been and is being done on Libtool, though - as soon as Libtool does the
linking properly without any Cygwin-special stuff on my side, I'll be
happy to drop the ON_WINDOWS and NOT_ON_WINDOWS stuff and use Libtool in
stead (at least on Cygwin).

As for MinGW: as long as it doesn't work on Cygwin I'm basically assuming
it won't work on MinGW either, as for most intents and purposes MSYS ==
Cygwin.

rlc