Re: Create a cygwin-setup mailing list?

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 05:50:31PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 10:51, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
> > You could make the same argument about cygwin-developers and cygwin,
> > though.  Or even cygwin-patches and cygwin.
>
> I disagree that the same argument can be made in either case. cygwin
> users have no responsibilities within the project. Certainly, those
> users that track cygwin-developers will have a better idea of whats
> going on, but we don't care whether they have that idea or not. Package
> maintainers, are *meant* to track things such as setup.exe capabilities,
> and Cygwin API or behavioural changes (i.e. ntsec defaults) in order to
> carry out their package maintenance duties.

I disagree.  The same argument could be used to require people to learn
Cygwin implementation details before creating binaries.  The ultimate
document needed for package maintainers is and should be the web page
http://cygwin.com/setup.html.  There's no reason to force people to
follow the setup.exe discussions on this list.  Changes in setup.hint
format should be documented under the above URL and then package maintainers
should read this.  That's it.

Cygwin Developer                                mailto:cygwin at cygwin dot com
Red Hat, Inc.