Re: setup release pending...

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003, Max Bowsher wrote:

> Robert Collins wrote:
> > Max,
> > I'm still waiting on feedback from you. I don't need a patch for the
> > MD5 checksums immediately, but I do need to know if you are working on
> > one, or if you are objecting in principle but not planning on creating a
> > patch.
> >
> > If the former, lets set a date for having the patch by.
> > If the latter, let me know and I'll release setup.exe.
>
> Sorry, thought I had replied, but I can't find the message in the archives.
>
> I will try and get a patch done by the time you have finished with Gary's
> patches.
>
> BTW, are you aware that Pierre's security updates (that you refer to in
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-04/msg00091.html) are NOT in
> setup yet?
>  Max.

Max,

Reading the message you referred to:

It can go in the next release, which currently has (*a list of patches*)
slated for it.

I read it as "the patches aren't necessarily in yet, but will go in before
the release"...

Also, about the MD5 sum complaint, there were actually 2 separate
complaints: 1) the MD5 summing takes too long (for setup to start up), and
2) the MD5 summing happens in the main thread, so setup stops redrawing
when it's obscured temporarily.

IMO, these two issues should be addressed separately.  Fixing 2 is as easy
as doing MD5 summing in a separate thread, just like I've done with
postinstall scripts.  I would offer to take a look, but don't think I'll
have the time for a patch in the next few weeks, and don't want to hold up
the release.

As for fixing 1, it's been suggested, I believe, that only the packages
that are being installed be MD5-summed (just summarizing here).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II