Re: Pending setup patches (issue 2)

On 5 Mar 2003, Robert Collins wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 07:41, Max Bowsher wrote:
>
> > > How about
> > > http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2002-10/msg00129.html
> > > ?  This is pretty old, but I can regenerate it against the current
> > > CVS if people think it's a good idea.  This is also a
> > > where-do-we-go-from-here patch...
> >
> > Sounds like a good idea to me.
> > Adding to the pending list, and hoping Robert will comment on it.
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2002-10/msg00137.html

Yup, I mentioned that in a later message...

> Still:
> * Not tested on Win95. It's a fairly low level change, and I have 'this
> much' (holds thumb and forefinger very close together) confidence that
> we won't get surprised.

Uh, can someone test this on Win95?  I only have a Win98 machine handy
(and tested on that).  Thanks.

> Other than that, please expand to address all scripts.
> Rob

Rob,

There is a design issue here that I'd like to address before I work more
on this.  I recall your comment that this should be tied into the logging
subsystem.  Unfortunately, this would involve a much more complex code,
with pipes and forks.  The same is true if we want "tee"-like behavior,
i.e. windows popping up *and* output going to a file.  The way this is
implemented now is the output stream of the script process is tied to a
file, but the limitation is that the file is written right away.  Do we
want a more complex design now, or should I just allow running a generic
script with output going to a file (for the moment)?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune