Re: Latest rev of NFS server

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, Robb, Sam wrote:

> This version re-enables the checks for owner/group of the
> exports file, and updates the nfs-server-config script to
> set the owner/permissions on the default exports file
> to the expected values.
>
> If you already have an existing exports file, you will need
> to explicitly change owner/permissions on the file yourself:
>
>   chmod 664 /etc/exports
>   chown 18:544 /etc/exports

Unfortunately this doesn't work. The daemons (nfsd,mountd) complain, that
a user with uid different from 18 are allowed to write to /etc/exports.

So the permissions of /etc/exports should be 644 to start the new version
of the daemon.

It seems to me that setting uid=544 and gid=18 fit better. If you think
about it, the SYSTEM user needs only to have read access to /etc/exports,
but the Administrators need to have also write access so they can modify
the file.