Re: Time to kill the "diff" empty upgrade helper?

Christopher Faylor wrote:

Not hurting, really.  More like just looking untidy.  I was thinking
that it wouldn't be a bad idea to streamline "Base", and started with
the most obvious target.  (I'm currently running without "diff",
"ncurses", "readline" and "login", to test whether they are suitable
candidates for un-"Base"-ing.)

Well, I can certainly take it out of base.  That's no problem.
There's certainly no problem removing 'readline' from base, as long as libreadlineX remain in base. Ditto ncurses, as long as libncursesX and terminfo stay in -- although that's less clear. 'ncurses' provides

usr/bin/captoinfo.exe
usr/bin/clearn.exe
usr/bin/infocmp.exe
usr/bin/infotocap.exe
usr/bin/reset.exe
usr/bin/tic.exe
usr/bin/toe.exe
usr/bin/tput.exe
usr/bin/tset.exe

Of these, 'tset' and 'reset' may be used in someone's startup scripts -- but if they're gonna customize their startup scripts then they can surely customize their install, and add 'ncurses' if it is no longer part of base.

So, I've no problems with removing 'ncurses' and 'readline' from Base.

--Chuck