Re: Setup proposal: "Maintainer Features" #define and AC_ARG_ENABLE

On Wed, 2002-12-25 at 10:39, Max Bowsher wrote:
> I'd like to resubmit my 'alternative registry name' patch for setup. It's
> not something that should go into released versions, but is the kind of
> thing that a maintainer is likely to find useful. I'd like to have a new
> #define (say MAINTAINER_FEATURES) and AC_ARG_ENABLE
> (say --enable-maintainer-features) for things that a maintainer could
> compile into their normal everyday setup, and activate on the command line
> as required (as distinct from DEBUG, which is for stuff that causes
> extremely verbose logging, or is otherwise undesirable for an everyday
> binary).
>
> Comments?

Yes, I'm still not convinced that a new global define is needed. Can you
elaborate on *what* will be triggered by that define, and *how* it
difers from debugging output.

Secondly, maintainer only features should not be visible as configure
arguments - add them to your CXXFLAGS command line parameter, or tweak
Makefile.am. The reason for this is that users *will* turn on configure
parameters in the assumption that they are for users. I've seen this
happen before, with disasterous consequences :[.

As for the alternative registry name, I've already agree in principle,
there was an email about what was needed a while ago :}.

Rob
--
---
GPG key available at: http://users.bigpond.net.au/robertc/keys.txt.