Re: setup feature request

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Kris Thielemans wrote:

KT> just a final thought on the 'keep' sutff (maybe you've gone ahead and coded
KT> it already, so then you forget about this). This is on the question to put
KT> 'keep' in the spin control or a radio button. we had

I coded it and sent a patch to this list a while ago, but Robert didn't
like the radio button either.

Don't worry about lost time, though, the patch was truly trivial (*1 line*
of actual logic, and the rest was renaming the button from Prev to Keep)

KT> kris> so maybe it makes more sense to add a 'keep' to this sequence, than
KT> kris> to add a 'keep' radio button. Then there's a nice distinction:
KT> kris> - radio buttons signify 'trust level'
KT> kris> - default et al signify what you want to do.
KT>
KT> max> I don't like it. Setup's clicky spin control things are not the easiest
KT> max> thing to use. I would much prefer a radio button.
KT>
KT> I now think that putting 'keep' as a radio button on the same level as
KT> 'current' and 'experimental' is actually bad (sorry, I suggested it
KT> myself!).
KT> If you intreprete it as a trust level, you invalidate the 'install' setting
KT> of the spin control, as 'install' shouldn't do anything in that case. I
KT> think this is a serious source for confusion.

I have a different opinion. First, note that the radio buttons don't act
like radio buttons at all. When you click them, they alter the state of
all the packages spin controls to meet the criteria of that button. I.e.
they really should be action buttons, not radio buttons.

With that in mind, Keep does fit with Curr and Exp.

I agree that if the radio buttons actually acted like radio buttons, to
modify a hypothetical AutoUpgrade action, then Keep does not fit so well
with them.

KT> By the way, an alternative to the spin control would be to have a drop-down
KT> list for every category, with the list of settings in there:
KT> upgrade to current versions
KT> upgrade to experimental versions
KT> keep
KT> remove (or uninstall)
KT> install current
KT> install experimental
KT> reinstall
KT>
KT> Less clicking, more familiar user interface, but more programming work I
KT> guess.

Ah yes. I've been secretly vowing that one day I would make drop-downs out
of those spinny things since I first set eyes upon them.

Max.