Re: And one more package, astyle Re: New Package: doxygen-1.2.17

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 11:19:00AM -0400, Robb, Sam wrote:
> > ...where are all the subscribers of this list?  How should we ever
> > get enough positive votes for a package if nobody cares?
>
> ...and...
>
> > Please note, *all* maintainers are welcome to give his/her voice for
> > a new package.
>
> What about non-maintainers?  I'd be perfectly happy to try out packages
> (I've used doxygen before, and ELFIO just looks neat.)  I've not done
> so in the past because I didn't think that my vote would be considered,
> and I'm not really sure what I would need to do in order to give a
> worthwhile evaluation (just install the binary package & run?  Check
> on install locations?  Look for missing files? Run a test suite?  Try
> to build from source?)
>
> If you are willing to count votes from non-maintainers, then some
> guidelines for how to do an evaluation would be useful.  A fairly
> simple and straightforward checklist to follow would probably be
> enough for most folks to work off of.

I don't think it's that big a deal.  Just have a look on
http://cygwin.com/setup.html.  This page contains the guidelines to
create a package.  Now *just* turn around and look from the evaluators
side.  So, if you think the package follows the guidelines and, that's
obviously even better, you also tried the package and it works fine,
then your voice is as good as anybody elses voice.

And, if you find a useful package, who knows?  Perhaps you are willing
to become Cygwin package maintainer, too...

Red Hat, Inc.